Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

DIY Applesauce


Applesauce is one of those foods that almost every toddler loves.  My son is no exception.  To save a little money and avoid some preservatives and additives, I make Nate's applesauce.  It's super easy and can be done during nap time.  And let me tell you, it's so good that I even have a bite or two.
                                                                 
Step 1:  Wash 5-6 of your favorite apples.  These are washington apples that my sister-in-law accidentally left at my house during her visit.  Thanks Sarah!
                                                                  
Step 2:  Peel the apples, cut them into wedges, and then into chunks.  Smaller chunks cook quicker than large wedges.
                                                                  
Step 3:  Boil about 4 cups of water and then place the steamer full of apple chunks into the boiling water.  Keep the lid on so they cook faster.
                                                                   
Step 4: When the apples can be pierced easily with a fork, then they are ready to go into the blender.  Add some of the water used for boiling to achieve the right consistency.  I usually start out with just a little water and then keep adding until it looks right.  I've heard of some people adding apple juice instead of water, but I'd rather not add the extra sugar that is in the apple juice.
                                                                  
And that's it!  I top it off with a bit of ground cinnamon for extra spice.  Freeze one container and then keep the other in the fridge for easy access.  Nate loves his mixed with bananas in the morning or plain just as a snack.
According to this site, these are the benefits of making your child's food at home:
Encourages Healthy Eating Habits
Increased Nutritional Value
Elimination of Additives
Improved Freshness
Additional Variety
Enhanced Control
Lower Costs

No comments:

Post a Comment