Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Blackberry Season!


Being new to the Northwest, I am just now discovering how wildly the blackberries grow here. It is amazing! It seems that my husband and I are spotting blackberry bushes just about everywhere we go. We have visited Magnusen Park a few times for the sole purpose of picking these delicious berries. Even though my hands look like I have been attacked by a small kitten, I enjoyed every second of it.

After leaving the park with a few large tupperware containers of berries, I started wondering what to do with it.  I decided to make some of Kelly Cline's Summer Berry Jam, except I would only be using blackberries.  The jam is just as good as Kelly claims.  It is sweet, juicy, and perfect for mixing with peanut butter, swirling in ice cream and spreading in biscuits, all of which my husband and I have done this weekend.

We went back for a second batch of blackberries and froze them. We are saving them for our next batch of jam.  The frozen berries are awesome for smoothies or milkshakes.  Using frozen fruit is a better alternative than ice since it does not water the drink down.

Nate loves the berries.  He eats them like candy, which makes me happy because they were free and are a great source of Vitamin C, fiber, and Vitamin K.
With all of these benefits in mind, my family will be on the lookout for free, fresh blackberries all summer long.  What about you?  Have you found any great places to pick fresh blackberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment