Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cleaning Naturally With Vinegar: Day 2


Alright, so it has been a few days since I last wrote about cleaning with vinegar, but today is the second day that I've actually used it, so we'll call it Day 2.

You are not going to believe what I did with vinegar today.

I used it in my hair. I made up a simple concoction and poured it over my head in the shower.  I couldn't believe I was actually going through with it.  But before I get too ahead of myself, here's what I did.

After researching the uses of vinegar as a conditioner, I realized that using Apple Cider Vinegar is better that White Vinegar.  I happened to have some Apple Cider Vinegar so that made for an easy swap.  Making a conditioner is super easy.  All you have to do is add 1 tbsp of Vinegar to 1 cup of cold water.

You might be wondering how I can possibly benefit from pouring something so, let's be honest, smelly into my hair.  Well, according to hairstyle.com, Apple Cider Vinegar has some unique qualities:
"Vinegar removes build-up and residue from the hair shaft and closes the cuticles. Vinegar restores natural pH and prevents an itchy scalp. Although plain white vinegar works fine, apple cider vinegar seems to be the preferred vinegar. As your hair is drying you will smell vinegar but once your hair dries there will be no smell."
In the shower, the smell of vinegar was so strong.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it.  But after a few seconds, I either got used to the smell or it got better.  After my shower, I had my husband smell my hair.  He immediately made that face that let me know my hair was not very pleasant smelling (not exactly the reaction you want from your husband after getting out of the shower) but after blow drying my hair, I had him smell my hair again (he may have been a bit hesitant this time around) but he assured me that he could not smell the vinegar anymore.

Success!

And to be honest, my hair does feel a lot better.  I can tell that the build-up that accumulates from daily conditioning is gone.  From what I've been reading, many sites warn that daily use of vinegar rinses can lead to drying out your hair (not that I would want to inhale that lovely scent every time I shower anyway) so a once-a-week treatment is all that is necessary.

Here is another Apple Cider Vinegar tip that I've yet to try:

-Make a skin toner:
Vinegar has a tonic action that promotes blood circulation in the small capillaries that irrigate the skin. It is also antiseptic, preventing the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, or yeast that trigger infection. It can dissolve excessive fatty deposits at the surface of the skin and reduce scaly or peeling conditions. Lastly, vinegar regulates the pH of the skin. Vinegar is most effective when used with lavender, rosemary, rose, or elder flower. It is essential to use top-quality white wine or cider vinegar. Dry any fresh plant material for two days before using.
(Obtained from http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shampving.htm)

Toner #1: Use one teaspoon of cider vinegar and two tablespoons of water.

Toner #2: Use one part apple cider vinegar to three parts witch hazel or rosewater for a gentle toner suitable for all skin types.

Toner #3: 1 cup water (rain, distilled, or spring), 1 heaping tablespoon dried Peppermint or Sage leave (or 1/4 cup fresh), 3 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar  (if skin is oily use 2 more teaspoons). To make an infusion of the peppermint or sage leaves, heat water until boiling. Remove from heat and add herbs. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain out plant material.  Add vinegar and stir well.  Pour into a clean bottle and label.  Shake well to ensure that it mixes. Store in refrigerator for best results and use within 3 weeks.  Use toner after cleansing.

Well, I think I've had enough vinegar for today.  Have you been using vinegar? In what way?

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try the hair conditioner idea. My curls have not been cooperating and maybe that will help! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete