Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Graham Cracker Cookie Recipe

Making snacks for your baby is super easy and so much cheaper than buying them at the store.  Let's face it, the baby food industry is a racket (my husband's phrase).  They pre-package food into cute, tiny and adorable packages that are almost too cute to resist.  However, I've found that making Nate's snacks is far more rewarding than most other chores.

I found this recipe for graham crackers a few weeks ago and tweaked it to make it work with the ingredients I already had in my cabinets.  I do that quite often because when I'm in the mood to cook or bake, I usually don't feel like running to the store to buy the missing ingredients.  Often, I can substitute one  or two ingredients with something I already have.

The first time I made this graham cracker recipe, they turned out more like graham cookies, but that was okay because Nate loved them anyway.

Here's my tweaked recipe for Graham Cracker Cookies:

You'll need your basic baking ingredients:



  • 2 1/2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour (the original recipe says you can swap 1/2 cup    of whole wheat flour if you desire)
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/3 cup of Maple Syrup (original recipe calls for honey)
  • 7 tablespoons of butter
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • Cinnamon for topping (sugar plus ground cinnamon).



First, make the dough.  Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda.  Stir until combined.  Then add the butter.  Using a mixer, pulse it a few times just to get it semi-mixed.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, syrup, and vanilla.  Then add it to the dough mixture and mix until just combined.



It will be sticky, which is just how you want it.  Next, lay out a piece of plastic wrap and dust it with flour.  Wrap it up into a square form and put it in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours. I put my dough in a Tupperware container so it doesn't leak anywhere in the fridge.


After the dough has chilled, dust your countertop with flour and roll out the dough (you're going to want to get your oven going.  Preheat it to 350 degrees).  The dough will be pretty sticky, so you'll need to keep adding flour.  Roll it out to about 1/8" thick.  The thinner it is, the more "crackery" it will be.  Then just cut some shapes.  You can use a pizza cutter to cut squares or cookie cutters. They don't have to be perfect.  You are cooking for your child, not for the cover of a magazine.  You can use a fork to make pretty indentations.  Before you pop them in the oven, sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on top (you don't have to if you want to avoid the extra sugar).




It only needs to bake for about 15-20 minutes.  If you want them to be more like a cookie (ideal for younger toddlers), cook them for less time.  More time will result in a more cracker-like finished product. Here is my not-so-perfect finished product, but they sure taste good.





They were a hit with Nate!





He started ignoring me for a while in order to better focus on the task at hand-eating:





And we all know that a happy baby is usually a messy baby. 






Enjoy!





9 comments:

  1. Found you on one of the Tuesday Follows. I'm your newest follower on your super awesome blog! I'll be back (in my best Arnold voice).

    KyAnn

    http://checketts-myers-clan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a new follower from Bloggy Moms! Love the blog and this recipe looks delicious!

    http://cramazinglife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am following from Bloggy Moms. I also am following you on Twitter.Love your blog!
    http://mom-stuffcommunity.blogspot.com and @dianne_momstuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - following from welcome, hope you do he same. I have 3 kids of my own - Your blog looks nice
    Mr Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining in this week for Wobble Over Wednesday! I hope you'll join in next week too! :)

    I am following you back too btw :)

    -Amanda T
    http://mylifewithratsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Found you through WW! Come enter my KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON giveaway happening right now at i m a g i n e!
    xo - jami

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Those look delicious!! I love graham crackers and gingerbread, although I killed my love for gingerbread using ginger to try to treat my nausea early on in my pregnancy...now it makes me nauseous. Maybe I could make your Graham Cracker recipe as a substitute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might have to give this recipe a try! :) Stopped by as part of Boost My Blog Friday. Hope you have a chance to visit during this long weekend...

    Amy
    http://worshipwhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Shondra! Those look delicious! -Stacey

    ReplyDelete