Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Priorities, Time, and Blessings

Right after Nate was born, I made a commitment to myself that I would always show Nate how happy am that he is awake. Even if he wakes up an hour earlier than normal in the morning.  Even if he only naps for 20 minutes.  I want him to always know that I am so excited and happy to see him and play with him.

It was real easy to do that in the beginning. He slept all the time. I was able to get everything I needed done during his naps and even have some time left over to relax.

As he started getting older and I began committing to more projects, sleep time became precious.

There are times when I'm in the middle of a project and I hear Nate wake up from his nap and I think "Already? Just sleep 10 more minutes so I can finish this." It's easy for me to get frustrated. Other times, I make the choice to stay up later than I should have. Of course it is on those mornings that he chooses to wake up a half hour early or, even worse, he just happens to wake up every hour and a half wanting to nurse.

During moments like these, it is easy to get frustrated or upset.  As a mom, my daily routine and free time/work time is structured around Nate's schedule. Rather than get frustrated, there are a few other steps I can choose to take to help make our day better.

Think about my priorities: When I take the time to slow down and think about my priorities, I realize that what I'm working on does not come even close to Nate. He is above my blog work, homework, house cleaning, Twitter, Google Reader, Facebook, email and everything else that I might possibly be working on. When I choose to remember this, it is easier to abandon the task at hand and greet my son with excitement.

There will always be more time: I do not have to finish what I'm working on during his nap time. There will always be more time to finish that project later. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 says:

            There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

There is a time for me to be productive and a time for me to be a mama. There is time for me to be a wife and a time for me to be a student. Achieving balance, although it is a constant struggle, is the ultimate goal. 

A happy mama can mean a happy baby: If I am happy and playful, there is a better chance that Nate will be happy as well.  Of course there are times that Nate is cranky no matter what I do, but for the most part, if I'm happy and focused on Nate, he is happy. And a happy baby means a happy mama. See how it is a continual cycle? 

Remember the tremendous blessing: I am beyond incredibly blessed to have a healthy and beautiful baby boy. I want to remember that during every moment spent with him. When he's happy, sad, cranky, awake at 3 am, making a mess during lunch time, being incredibly cute and flirting with the ladies at the next table, learning to walk, and all the moments in between, I want to remember how blessed I am.  Keeping that blessing in mind will help me greet Nate the way I want to regardless of whether his timing is bad.

If all else fails...Have a great husband like mine who volunteers to get up early on most weekends.  By the time I wake up, Nate has been changed twice, fed breakfast, and has spent some great quality time with his Dad, who just might be able to snag the Greatest Dad in America award.


The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.  ~Mark Twain

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy.  ~Cynthia Nelms

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  ~Abraham Lincoln

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery while on a detour.  ~Author Unknown


13 comments:

  1. Hi I am Nicole from ColiesKitchen.com I found you on a blog hop and wanted to drop by and say hi. I really like your blog, and am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I am guilty of this, too. Several times I have found myself thinking, "you are awake ALREADY?" But what would I do without my little blessing in my life?

    Thanks for the reminder that my time with my baby is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for following! I'm following back! :-)
    I love your blog!
    You gave me some encouraging reminders in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog!
    I found you you through Pink Dandy Chatter. I am now following you.
    Hope you'll visit my blog and have a great Sunday!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my Pink Dandy Sunday Blog Hop!
    http://pinkdandychatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post & such a handsome little guy :) When I had my 1st child 15 yrs ago, someone gave me a "congrats on your new baby" card that said something like, "Tired of the baby crying at 3AM?...(inside)In a few years, you'll be glad to know where he IS at 3AM!" LOL! I think you'll have fun at www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school, as Nate grows. Hope you can stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you through the pink dandy blog hop now following.
    Although I do not have any children I do understand the importance of establishing priorities, well and maintaining them too. You have a lovely little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for stopping by and following back. I also thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog!

    All the best,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. It gives me lots to think about. I'm a new follower from the blog hop. I hope you'll come on over and follow me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog while visiting DIY Blog Roll @ http://www.sueberrylane.info/drupal/content/diy-blog-roll ... I enjoyed visiting your blog and especially this post. I can totally relate. I try and remember this (thank you for the reminder) because before you know if you're getting ready for birthday number 6...My oldest turns 6 next month. Time flies. But, we are all human and need help; that is awesome that your husband participates the way he does. I have bad news though...my hubby gets the BEST DAD award! He is by far the best...;-) I am now following you and looking forward to your next post. Thanks, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't have said it better. This is so true. It is a good reminder though about that "right-when-he-wakes-up" part. Thanks Shondra! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautifully written! So glad that I found you via Twee Poppets today! -diane

    ReplyDelete