Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Green Onion Growin'

Did you know that you can re-grow green onions and rarely have to buy them at the grocery store?

It's really easy and will save you a few bucks since you won't need to buy them every time you go to the store.

Here is the before picture.  We had used up the onions in salads and other dishes.  Before I learned this little trick, I would have thrown the roots away and bought more during my next visit to the grocery store.


I kept the rubber band around the bottom of the bunch and then filled a glass with about 2 inches of water.  Every 2 or 3 days you should dump out the old water and refill it with new water.  The onions need to be in a place of moderate sunshine.  

Onions don't grow at the rate of other plants.  These can easily grow 1/2 an inch every day.  

4 days later, this is what I had: 



I'd say that this is enough onions to last me a week or so.  I've already cut off those onions and have new ones growing.  

Here are some useful references:


8 comments:

  1. I totally did not know this! Wow! I'll have to try out my black thumb on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds easy enough and I never have of it before. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this, love it!

    I’m your newest follower. I would like to invite you to the Follow Us Monday Morning @ Frugality Is Free @ Frugality Is Free. It is a great place to meet, connect and expand your blogging network, and you can even win a free ad space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great idea! I'm going to try that the next time we buy scallions!
    I'm a new follower from Mingle Monday. Would love a follow back at threecrazymunchkins.blogspot.com

    Happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this! I knew onions grew like this, but never thought to do it for myself. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's crazy! I never would have guessed that you could do that. I'll have to try it next time I get green onions! Great tip!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog via Keepin' Company Thursdays. I am now a follower of yours. I had no idea you could do that with green onions. Will have to give it a try. I like to use green onions as straws when sipping on tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait to try this!!! We don't use green onions too often and usually sub regular onions in place of them since I always have regular onions on hand. I'd love to have a vase of green onions right there on my counter!

    ReplyDelete