Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm Jammin'

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture of all my new canning supplies and then forgot to post pictures of what I made.

I made yummy blackberry jam. It wasn't perfect. Ideally, it would have been just a bit thicker and contain fewer seeds, but it still tasted good and I am extremely proud of it.

I used blogger Marisa Mclellan's Blackberry Jam recipe.  She is the author of the wonderful canning blog, Food In Jars . She has go-to recipes for nearly everything you can think of, as well as some things you'd never dream up.

The only part of her recipe that I didn't follow was the nutmeg part.  I didn't have any available, but I think the jam turned out well without it. 

If you have ever thought about canning, but are a bit intimidated, don't be! It is easier and requires fewer materials than you might think.  There are at least 20 good websites devoted to helping beginners. 

Here are a few great beginning resources:

And don't forget to check out youtube.  Many canners have posted some fabulous videos that give step by step instructions. 

Are you a canner? I'd love if you left me a link to a picture of something you've canned in the comments section or just tell me about it. 

Do you follow me on Twitter? I hope so! If not, I'd love for you to follow me so we can chat! 
Follow me HERE 


16 comments:

  1. following u via the monday blog hop. i'd luv a follow bk :)

    http://fuyume.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now following you thanks to Mingle Mondays, and it would be nice if you could share back the love on my blog;)
    Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy HTML tips, you know where to come!
    Today we have an amazing giveaway: 3 x Trolley Cards greeting cards complete with delivery to the recipient, so come on by to sign in and make your loved ones happy by sending them a cute greeting card just that easy! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I'm stopping by from Mingle Monday! I hope you will stop by Day by Day Savings!

    I have never canned jam before but I do can tomatoes and salsa!

    www.daybydaysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, homemade blackberry jam sounds incredible!! I've thought about canning for a couple years, we have a cherry tree that produces more cherries then I know what to do with and I figured canning would be a great solution. But, I've been a little intimidated by it, so it's good to know it's not as hard as I thought. Maybe next year will be the year!

    By the way, I have a blog award for you. Stop by when you get a chance!
    http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-first-award.html

    Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower from mingle monday. I LOVE blackberry jam. <3

    http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2010/09/weekly-linkups-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. H
    Looks delicious! homemade blackberry jam is my favourite!

    I'm already following you via Pink dandy Chatter..I just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and would love to have you drop by and do the same when you get a chance.

    Have a great week ahead!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad.. I showed you on my blog..sorry for any inconvenience. :(
    Please disregard my previous email.
    Thank you so much!

    Wishing you a lovely Monday!

    B :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks very yummy!! :)Following from Mingle Monday! Have a great day!


    Heather from Mommy Only Has Two Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother always made blackberry jam and it's my favorite.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and the sweet comments you left. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. new follower. we have a blog hop too. love to see you link up! great blog. wwww.lilyslaundryboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am following you back from FMBT. Thank you so much for stopping by. Have a great week.
    Cindi
    Little Yayas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Canning has become a new addiction for me. We have canned salsa and spaghetti sauce and soon I will be doing applesauce. I am now following your blog from the Tuesday blog HOp

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making homemade jam! Yum!! I'm your newest follower from FMBT! Hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and follow back.

    Andrea
    http://365daysoflifebehindthelens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That jam looks delicious! I've always wanted to can but honestly never have. I've never seen it done nor have I ever been told how it works so I'm completely lost. Maybe I'll check out some canning blogs! Thanks!

    Stopping by to follow you back! Thanks for stopping to say hello! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the inspiration. Canning reminds me of my grandmother and I would love to bring those good memories back to present day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We loved your jam. Jerry is so bummed that it is almost gone.

    ReplyDelete