Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Canning Stash

I'm so excited to have some new canning equipment.  This should give me something fun and productive to do during Nate's nap time (like I don't already have enough to do, right?).

Here's my new stash:

I have 12 jars, extra lids, a pair of tongs, a funnel, bubble releaser, pectin, and a magnet for removing the lids out of hot water.

I made my first batch of jam today and then used the water bath method to seal them.  I think they turned out really well (I tasted it enough during the process to know-probably too much).

I'll post some pictures of the finished product sometime tomorrow.

Have you ever read Marissa McClellan's blog, Food In Jars? If you haven't, you should really check it out.  She cans almost every single type of fruit and vegetable that you can imagine.  Sometimes I'll read a post and think That can be canned? And then I read on and she explains exactly how she did it.  And then I wonder How did she ever come up with that?

Yesterday, she wrote a post on how to make watermelon jelly.  Being a watermelon fan, I know I'm going to have to try this at some point.  I never seem to see anything that is truly watermelon flavored. Usually it is some weird artificial version of watermelon.  Anyway, her recipe and pictures look absolutely amazing.

I'm always looking for new inspiration.  Do you can? What do you can? Any tips?

7 comments:

  1. We have only done spaghetti sauce so far but want to try other stuff. We are going to do applesauce and apple pie filling when the fruit is ready to pick. The whole process is actually easier than I thought it would be. We have frozen cherries too and a recipe for vanilla cherry jam that I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following me. I am now following you too. I would love for you to post about Keepin' Company Thursday and help us spread the word about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't can (don't have the supplies), but I freeze. I have been freezing fresh produce like crazy lately, trying to stay on top of the bounty God's provided!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed with this canning stuff! Canning has never crossed my mind except when I tell my kids to "can it!" :) Thanks so much for recently joining my silly blog. I appreciate it! Look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the Blog Hops! I love your site. I can't wait to get to know you better. Stop by when you get the chance. I have a Meet Me Monday blog hop and I would love if you could join in. It lasts all week long. Hope to see you then!

    http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just randomly found your blog and find it just darling! great concepts and everything! Im your newest follower! Woowhoo!!

    Ashley
    sewmuchmoreinlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to can applesauce but decided to freeze instead (since I don't know much about canning). Glad I came across your post... maybe I'll can next year :)

    ReplyDelete