Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Top 10 Reasons I Love My Cloth Diapers

This weekend I visited family in Montana.  It was a wonderful trip full of apple picking, deer watching, carousel riding, and even some Notre Dame football.  Living hundreds of miles away from family has really caused me to appreciate any time I get to spend with them.  I'll post some pictures soon.

There was one part of the trip I didn't like.  And maybe I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but here it is.  We do not travel with cloth diapers.  It's something I secretly (well, not so secretly anymore) feel really guilty about.  But the thought of driving 500 plus miles with a bag full of poopy-urine filled diapers is enough to send me running for the disposables.  After using disposables all weekend, I feel inspired to write about my top 10 reasons for loving cloth.

1.  They smell good.  My cloth diapers, currently being washed with lavender laundry soap, smells better than any chemical, paper/plastic disposable.

2. A cute, colorful cloth diaper looks way cuter on Nate than any sagging, cheap disposable ever could.

3. No guilt! Every time I tossed a disposable diaper into the trash can, I cringed with guilt.  Another addition to an already over-flowing landfill.

4. The cost.  A 31 pack of store-brand disposables cost me about $8.  It doesn't cost me anything (except  a bit of soap and water to wash them) to reuse my cloth diapers.

5. Nate seems more comfortable in cloth.  He's just starting to try to walk, so he falls on his butt a lot.  Cloth diapers provide more cushion and padding for those unexpected falls.

6. No poop-leakage.  This one is kind of gross, but this weekend, Nate had an exceptionally full diaper and some spread up his back and onto his cute, white onesie.  Not so cute.  I've never had that happen with cloth because of the elastic that hugs his back.

7.  For some reason, Nate starts to get a little red when using disposables.  I'm always worried that he is going to get a diaper rash at any second.

8.  My cloth diapers are chemical-free.  Disposables contain a bunch of chemicals (known and unknown).  I'd rather him not be exposed to them.

9.  Call me crazy, but cloth diapering is fun.  I can color-coordinate his diaper to match the t-shirt he's wearing.  It's silly but it's more than I can do with disposables (unless you count those weird jean disposables).

10. Did I mention that I don't feel guilty when using cloth? A guilty conscience is one of the worst feelings ever.  Cloth lets me skip the guilt and do my part to make the environment a little better.

It's a win-win situation for me,  Nate, and the environment.

This post is being linked to Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by Oh Amanda.



17 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us on the Tuesday Train. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I'm your new follower...you have a lovely blog...hope you can follow back at makeupthoughts.blogspot.com

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to cloth diaper. We just could never afford to :(

    I'm your newest follower from the Blog Hops.
    I hope to see you follow back, I love new blog friends!

    I hope you have a great week!
    Kerin
    hergoodintentions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog girlie! I am a new follower from the Tuesday Hops! Have a great week!
    Dawn :)
    http://flipoutmama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there... great Blog. I came over here from Tuesday Blog Hop and are following you via GFC now:-) Maybe you can visit me at www.twoboysonegirlandacrazymom.com when you get a chance.
    Happy Tuesday
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a new follower! I wish I had used cloth diapers. I have seen so many great options for it now. Come and visit Mama's Little Chick! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm agreeing with all your facts. My oldest didn't get much diaper rash when using dispo (like some night, cause she's a heavy weter) but my newborn gets instant rash once a dispo on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is 17 months old and I've never tried out cloth diapers with him, but I'd be willing to. Where do you get yours?


    P.S.
    I'm a new follower from Tuesday Blog Hop by Nimble Grove

    http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emy,

    I ordered mine from Ebay. They are Sunbaby brand, which have worked very well for me. They aren't as expensive as other more popular brands. Ebay has a lot of different deals depending on how many you'd like to order.

    Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-SUNBABY-3-0-ONE-SIZE-SNAPS-CLOTH-DIAPERS-10-INSERTS-/250687912946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5e29fbf2

    Looking forward to checking out your blog!

    -Shoni

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting. I think it depends on the baby. Mine got MAJOR rashes in cloth. I kept getting rid of the rash by putting him back on disposables (chlorine free, non-scented Seventh Generation ones) and then I'd try to go back to cloth, only to find that he'd break out in a rash again within a day of putting the cloth ones back on. I've used both cloth and disposable this year, off and on, and I wanted so much to be 100% cloth when I had him, but I'm not sure it works with every baby the same way. It's a great blog, though, and I applaud you. Luckily I've had no poopy diapers (and no poop outs) in a while, and I'm hoping to get him out of diapers entirely in the next 6 months or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog!! I think cloth diapers are better too and your blog of reason why you like them is great!

    please come and check out my blog at
    http://robyns-page.blogspot.com

    Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used cloth diapers with our first two children, and out third is making it's appearance this winter, I am excited to begin this process again. Your ten reasons are wonderful, and very very true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    When I first found out I was pregnant. I had no doubt that I was going to use cloth. But once we found it was twins. That idea scared me and went out the door. Maybe if we're bless with one more. I will revisit the idea again.

    Im your newest follower. Have a great day.

    http://rwriterjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Blog!! I'm glad I stopped by!

    Dawn @ Mom-a-Logues

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate thinking about all the money I throw away when I change my son's diapers. I'm definitely going w/ cloth the next time around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Ashley,

    You'll love cloth diapers. Once you start, you'll be hooked. I was a little nervous at first, but now I really can't imagine any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the same reasons I love mine! I even love doing the diaper laundry! :-D

    ReplyDelete