Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mom To Two?

For 18 weeks, I have had a baby growing inside me.  A precious baby, gender still unknown to me, but not to its Creator.

As I sit and write, it comes alive to me with its little flutters and somersaults.  The less I move, the more I feel it.  So I sit, and sit, forgetting to breathe at times, just hoping to feel the baby I already love.

But behind the excitement and behind the love, lies uncertainty.  Not an overwhelming amount of uncertainty, but just enough to make its presence known.  And in that uncertainty, questions arise.

Will I be the same mother to two children that I am to one?
Will my patience endure?
Am I ready to resume night wakings and nursings?
Two under two? Am I ready?
Is Nate ready to be a big brother?
Will he feel that he has lost his mom to this new baby?


After I have questioned.  After I have swam in the murky waters of insecurity.  I remember the words I have heard preached from the pulpit since childhood, the words I have found to be true over and over again, yet I need to be consistently reminded.  Because in my weakness, He is made strong.



1 Peter 5:7
Let Him have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.
John 14:27
I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart! And the peace I give isn't fragile like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid.
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust the Lord completely; don't ever trust yourself. In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success.

(Thanks to Stacey for these beautiful flowers)

8 comments:

  1. It is scary when that second one comes around, but you'll do great. I remember finding that I was so worried about the newborn phase (the sleepless nights and nursing round the clock) but it really was fine - I kept telling my friends, "Go for it! Have the second one!" Though it might have been fatigue induced psychosis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out we're pregnant with our second YESTERDAY. Our son will be 2 1/2 when this baby arrives. I'm excited but terrified all at the same time. But your words gave me encouragement. Thank you and best of luck to you!

    Billie Jean
    www.TheUnexpectedMother.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. My second is 3.5 months old and my first is still only 22 months...I had some similar uncertainties...but, of course, God knows what He's doing and will always give you the grace you need.
    A good friend talked about this one kid to two kids transition at my baby shower. She posted it on her blog. You should check it out, it's VERY encouraging! :-D
    Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/4v65yba

    Enjoy! :-)

    http://childrenchoresandchocolate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard, for sure! I am mom to a 20 month old and 3 month old. You have to learn to do as much as you can in advance - planning ahead the night before is key! Having two under two is never boring, and sometimes lonely, so stay connected to your friends when you can - in person or virutally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will do great, you are an amazing mother and caregiver. <3
    -Stace

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it!! Granted, my two aren't that close together, but the transition to two has been SOOO much easier than the transition to one. Everything is so much more laid back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations (and thanks for your sweet comment on my post)! I'm so excited that we are due so close together! I can totally relate to this post. I am so excited and love this new baby so much but I am so nervous at the same time. All the same questions have been running through my head. But I know we can do it! It will take some adjustment but it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree so much with this! We are 11 weeks along with our second and it's a weird feeling. Will it be hard? Can I handle it? Will I be able to give them both the time and nurture and love they need? Thanks for your guiding inspiration on this and good luck to you guys too!

    ReplyDelete