Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Ashley's Birth Story

"A Speedy Delivery"


In light of her own pregnancy and upcoming delivery, Shondra asked me to share my birth story with you today. I've chosen to tell you the story of my son's birth. It was quick and included a few surprises, including a doctor who was MIA! Enjoy...

David, born at 9:27am on 9-27

 All of the times (except my son’s time of birth) are approximate, but not exaggerated.

7:45 am – I woke up in intense pain. I knew I was in labor. I called my husband who was at work and told him that I’d gone into labor, called our friends who would be watching our daughter, and got in the shower to get ready to head to the hospital. After 4 weeks of bed rest and 1 week of waiting, it was time!

8:20 am – My husband arrived home from work, and I pushed him and my 21mo daughter out to the car. After a quick stop to drop our daughter off with friends, we arrived at the hospital shortly after 8:30 am.

8:35 am – I was stubborn and refused to let my husband drop me off at the door. I insisted on walking from the car to the Labor & Delivery department. I barely made it three steps before I doubled over in pain. But, I made it inside without assistance, and made my way to registration.

8:40 am – I told the nurses to call my doctor right away. He had told me he only needed 10 minutes to be in delivery. I told them to have him hurry. (My mom had two hour labors with each of us, and my first was about two hours, so there was a 99% chance I'd be two hours or less.)

9:00 am – Dressed in a hospital gown and ready to push, no doctor had arrived.

9:20 amNot willing to wait any longer, I told the nurse I was going to push, and she gave me the “OK.”

9:25 am – The first push broke my water as the nurse grabbed a random doctor from the hallway.

9:27 am – My son came flying out with the second push – the doctor barely grabbed him.

My first moments with him
 
9:35 amMy doctor came strolling down the hall to “check” on my progress only to find the nurses cleaning the baby up and me taking pictures while my husband called the grandparents.

A precious gift from God

My doctor explained later that he had accidentally turned his beeper off, so he didn’t get the pages until the nurses tried calling him at home. Then, he had decided he had enough time to shower. He didn’t realize that they’d been paging him for 20 minutes already!

---

Ashley Pichea is a wife and mom (2 year old boy and a 4 year old girl), as well as being a blogger, an online student (pursuing an MA in Ministry), and actively involved in her local church's various ministries. Her blog, L.I.F.E: Living Intentionally By Faith Everyday, has become a place of ministry to women with a purpose of encouraging women with the Word of God, and she is the co-founder of the 3 in 30 Challenge. Ashley strives daily to find her identity in Christ, and she encourages you to connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.




Thanks for sharing, Ashley! Your son shares a birthday with me. :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought my labor and pushing was fast (in labor about 6 hours, pushed for 15 minutes). That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, it sounds like a dream to me after having a 37 hour labor. I've heard that fast labors tend to be even more intense though. (Although mine was pretty intense for the last 12 hours...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was short, sweet, and to the point! Lol! I love that your doctor thought he had time to shower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds incredibly simlar to both of my children's birth stories! I always feel pity for those that agonized for hours…

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how in so many birth stories the fact that the mothers in labor are so much more aware of where they're at in the process than the doctors. I'm so thankful for the doctors and everything that our modern hospitals, etc. can do for us. But I'm also thankful when the mothers are able to direct, if you will, their own births to a degree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for sharing with me! I think God knew what He was doing when He blessed me with short labors... my pain tolerance is slim to none! :) Thanks to Shondra for letting me share one of my stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I'm praying for a quick labor, but it doesn't run in my family... lol. Either way, I know God's will and timing is best. Thanks for sharing your story! :)

    ReplyDelete