Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Daria's Birth Story

In light of my pregnancy, I'm sharing a birth story every week until I deliver.  At that point, I will have a new story of my own to share!

This week, Daria from Mom In Management, is going to be sharing the story of her daughter's birth.

Surprise! It's a... It's a... It's a GIRL!


My daughter turned 9 years old in December. She has been Jaeda and a girl for so long that it should be difficult to remember the months that I spent anticipating what she would look like, what we should name her, and if she would be a he or a she. But it's not.

Maybe it's because she was my first and the excitement and nervousness about being pregnant burned those memories in so deep they'll never fade. Maybe it's because I didn't have "mommy brain" yet so I can still remember those days. Who knows. But I do know that it seems like yesterday that we were continual front page news in the family gossip mill.

Why were we the center of so much speculation? Well, we didn't decide to find out the gender of our baby.

I say we, but that is not exactly true. I decided that we would not find out. I needed something to look forward to as incentive to make it through labor. People used to be shocked when I said that..."You're getting a baby. Isn't that enough incentive?" Nope. I had this vision of my husband holding a baby and saying "It's a xxxx."

Maybe I read too many romance novels or made for TV movies, but I wanted that moment, so no sneak peeks for us!


Guessing the Gender

So while we were waiting, we took guesses, speculated and considered old wives tales to try to guess the baby's gender.

It was fun to hold our wedding bands on a piece of hair and see how it spun. Apparently circles mean a girl and back and forth means boy. Our ring spun kind of egg shaped.

Grandma was convinced we were having a boy. She said my belly was shaped like a basketball which means boy, versus spreading the weight all over would mean girl. Grandma had correctly predicted the genders of the past 14 grandbabies, so we were pretty sure she was both psychic and that we were having a boy.

My husband had two boys already from a previous relationship. He was convinced that he was a boy maker. U - rah! I have manly sperm hon, I can only make boys. Hmm, be sure to take that up with them won't you?

The topper though was that we spent a weekend in New Orleans when I was 7 months pregnant. In Jackson Square, there are a handful of palm readers set up that will tell you your fortune for a few dollars. We didn't stop (although I've always been curious) but as we were passing by, one of them yelled out to us - "You're having a boy!" My husband likes messing with people and retorted with "The doctor says it's a girl." That palm reader came back and stated quite definitively - "I don't care what that doctor says. That right there is a boy baby."

After that it was pretty much a done deal. We were both pretty convinced that all the omens pointed to a boy.


Delivery

Two months later, after 22 hours of labor and nearly 2 hours of pushing, our baby was born. I looked expectantly at my husband as the doctor held the baby out for him to see. He just stared, wide-eyed with a dazed look..."It's a....It's a...."

Apparently he was in such shock he couldn't actually spit it out. Maybe he was feeling badly for this son that had such a small penis?

The nurse finally took pity on him and said "It's a GIRL!" I swear he then nodded his head and said, "Oh yeah, that's what that is."  He denies it of course, but his mother was in the room and she said she'll never forget the look on his face.

To this day, I love to tease him about that moment. I didn't get my Made for TV vision, but I wouldn't trade the laughter we've gotten over that moment for any scripted version. It is life and it is ours.



**By the way, my husband loves having daughters. We now have two girls and a boy together and he is wrapped around those little girls' pinkies like you wouldn't believe. Regardless of the surprise factor, I don't want you to think either of us were disappointed. My only disappointment is my diminished belief in psychic powers. I always wondered if palm readers were for real. I suppose this doesn't necessarily hold true for all, but I know of one at least that doesn't have a clue.

--

Thank you for sharing your story, Daria! If you'd like to hear more stories like this, be sure to visit Daria's blog and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

Daria from MomInManagement

Twitter: @mominmanagement

Facebook http://facebook.com/mominmanagement

4 comments:

  1. Too cute! Great story! I was on the opposite end of the spectrum - we had 4 girls. And when I was pregnant with baby #5, we (or I) decided not to find out the sex. Besides, all we made were girls, so it was 99% sure we were having a girl anyway, and I had never let the sex be a surprise. I also wanted to hear "Congratulations, it's a _____"
    We also had lots of people guessing - but mostly people thinking we would just have another girl, to follow suit with the previous 4 children.
    Much to our surprise, when I delivered the baby, I looked at my husband (who still seemed to be in shock) - and like your story, the doctor helped out, and said "It's a BOY!". I just kept saying over and over "We made a boy?" He just turned 1 yr last month - and it has been an exciting journey to say the least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol- glad to know it wasn't just me. I have no idea why that made for TV moment of "it's a ????" was so important to me, but it just seemed like such a moment and I wanted it too.

    Congratulations on #5! I can only imagine after 4 girls, the shock and excitement! Ours weren't nearly as dramatic - my 2 stepsons, then our girl, then boy, and last girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story, Daria! And could Jaeda be more adorable...oh, those eyes.

    I cannot believe that people can actually hold out for the sex of their baby until birth--I just don't get it! Maybe it speaks for my inability to possess self-control, or something, but I'm baffled when couples choose to be surprised. That's a very long time to wonder...

    Good luck w your birth, Shoni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprise is great. I was more busy counting fingers and toes, having bought white, yellow and green clothes for the baby.
    But perhaps the surprise was too great for my husband. He was asked bu staff to hold my leg when I was pushing. He said that he wasn't working at the hospital and that he had to see it all and couldn't see if holding my leg. What a riot! Thought that he was joking, but no he was very serious.

    ReplyDelete