Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Do You Really Need That?

We're getting ready to move into a new place in a few weeks.  It's about the same size as what we're in now, but I think the living area will be much more conducive to our family.  I'm really excited about the hardwood floors that are throughout the house (except for the bedrooms) because having carpet with a toddler is just asking for trouble.

My one concern is that I'll be losing cabinets in the kitchen.  Because of that, I've been thinking about what I actually need.  How many sets of tupperware do I really need? How many books do I really need to keep? Do I really need all of those clothes that I rarely wear but just might be perfect for that one special occasion? What can I get rid of and never miss? My guess is that there are lots of things in my house that I could part ways with and never think about again.

I came across this article on Yahoo about a woman living in Manhattan in a 90 square foot studio.  She pays $700 a month for it, while the other apartments in her neighborhood, on average, rent for $3600.

Granted, she is a professional organizer, so she really knows how to make the most of the space.

If you're interested, watch this short clip and get a tour of her micro studio apartment.

Maybe you'll be motivated to get rid of some things you don't need and won't miss.

1 comment:

  1. That place is sweet! Looks smaller than a dorm room. Good stuff Shoni.

    ReplyDelete