Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Power of a Smile

The first few weeks of having a newborn are a little rough.  Especially when you have a two-year old to take care of as well. Sure they are tiny and sweet and so cuddly.  But in some ways, it's hard too.  Every time they wake up, they want to eat immediately.  They just want to be held and getting things done is so hard.  And with a two-year old, there are lots of things that need to be done every day.

But at around week 6, that wrinkly little baby loses that newborn blank stare and they start to pay attention to the world around them.  They begin making eye contact and then all of a sudden...it happens.

They smile.

When Lance smiled at me for the first time, it absolutely melted my heart.  My eyes watered just a bit.  It was probably the happiest moment I had since he was born.

After that point, things changed.  I started goo-ing and gah-ing and laughing and talking ridiculous baby talk just to see that elusive baby smile.  And somehow he knew not to smile when I was holding a camera.  That would just be too much work.

But as each week passes, the smiles increase and the interaction grows.

It makes every 3am feeding totally worth it.  Every poopy diaper is less of a chore and the day just seems to be a little bit better.

Tomorrow, he will be 10 weeks old.



I love these pictures of Lance smiling at his dad.  Such precious moments.




                        Sweet Shot Day

6 comments:

  1. SO, sooo sweet! 10 weeks already? How time flies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is the sweetest face! I love the way he's smiling at his daddy! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous smile - yes, it's so lovely when they start to interact. The second time around is certainly different - when you're not able to focus on one little person totally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't get ANY CUTER!!!! You are right- it does get hard during those early weeks when you are just trying to get into a grove- and as soon as you do- they change their schedule :) But wow- it goes by so fast! I can't believe how big he is now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodnesss!!!! That is one adorable baby :) I'm visiting my best friend in San Diego and she's got a little one too. They both have the same smile. Love it! I'm now following. Hope you'll stop bye!

    xoxo
    Katie
    http://loveiseverywhere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. Those first few weeks, with that newborn blank stare are hard. And every time you start to try to do something they seem to wake up. My little guy is nearly three months - and I totally agree. Those first weeks are HARD, but it's easier now. Those smiles just melt my heart and make my life so much brighter, even if it's covered in... well, you know.

    ReplyDelete