Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Skagit River Bald Eagles



Ryan woke me up a little before 5am on Saturday morning.  Although I was hesitant to get out of bed, shower, and get the boys bundled up, the reward was more than worth it. I grabbed my coffee and we headed out the door in search of some eagles.


Each year, the Skagit River (just over an hour drive) is host to the largest gathering of Bald Eagles in the lower 48 states.  We made it to the river just as the sun was rising and just in time to see dozens of eagles enjoying their morning catches.


We estimate that we saw 40 bald eagles.  When we return in January, we are guessing that we will see many more than that.


Even though it was a bit foggy and overcast, I think the pictures turned out beautifully.


It was definitely worth waking up early to see.


I am already dreaming about our next trip.  I've heard that there are river guides who will take you down the river in a raft.  Imagine the pictures I could get of the birds from the river!


Gosh, I can't get over how gorgeous they are.

Can you see all of the eagles in that tree? There are even a few in the trees over on the right.


Hoping to make it back soon!




Sweet Shot DayHappily Mother After

3 comments:

  1. Can't even begin to tell you how unbelievably jealous I am! That is one thing on my bucket list...to be able to take at least one picture of a wild bald eagle. These pictures are amazing and I think the fog just adds to the awesomeness of the photos. Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Amazing. Truly. These are fantastic. Don't think we get those birds here! But love the idea of the raft trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW- INCREDIBLE!!! We used to live in a place where they would come south from Alaska to feed in the spring. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete