Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Stop Making Excuses and Give Your Husband the Camera

We spend all day long taking pictures of our kids.  Every big moment, every new tooth, each first bite, and even each first poop in the potty.  It's all documented and stored away in folders on our computers.
We have pictures of our kids with our husbands all snuggled up on the couch, walking hand in hand, changing diapers, feeding first bites, and all of the other moments in between.
But when hubby says, "Hey babe, let me have the camera," we freeze up.  We make excuses.
"It's ok. I just got out of the shower."
"Nah...I'm the photographer here."
"No, my hair looks terrible."
"I'm fat...you are not going to take any pictures of me today!"
"I'm not even wearing cute clothes."
"I'll just keep taking pictures of you loving on the kids."
But we were there too.  We loved on our kids. We made them meals, fed them their first bites too, bathed them, held their hands, snuggled with them in bed, read them stories, kissed their owies.  We do it all too.
And we deserve to have those folders on our computer, those scrapbooks, photo albums, whatever, filled with pictures of us loving and taking care of our kids.

So teach your husband how to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture or get it all set up for him.  Or get your trusty point-n-shoot out.  And don't wait for him to ask. Hand him the camera and say "snap some pictures."

Because time goes too fast to wait for a moment when we've run out of excuses.

(Ryan, for the record, you are allowed to remind me of this post the next time you ask to have the camera and I try and talk you out of it).


NapTime MomTog
and then, she {snapped}
” Linking up withThe Paper Mama for her Self Photo Challenge! 

8 comments:

  1. it's like if I heard myself :))) I'd be the same, taking lots of photos of my kids and everyone and everything else around, but then I realize I don't have that many with me on it, I think it's time to change it, you are right : give that camera to husband and I have to say yours took some beautiful photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. Such adorable shots. I need to give my hubby the camera more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had fun in front of the camera. Great shots! I host a monthly photo challenge called {Focus} on Mom. I challenge everyone to post a picture of themselves with or without the kids. I would love for you link up at the end of the month. Hope to see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally made me tear up. Guilty guilty guilty.

    Loved this post and loved the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures and great advice. I have 26 years of picture and very few of myself. I try and make sure I have many of my daughter and her children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! I totally need to do this more as well.

    And you are stunning, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I realized last year sometime that I wasn't in very many pictures with the kids and I've been trying to be better. I love the look on your littlest ones face in that last picture. (And the note to your husband is pretty funny!)

    ReplyDelete