Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza: Low-Carb Recipe

Pinterest has pretty much changed my life.  

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it definitely is my go to website during my free time.  My boards are about photography, parenting tips, clever ideas, hairstyles, color palettes, blog tips, Adobe Illustrator tutorials, Photoshop fun, writing tips, and recipes (just to give you an idea). 

Since having Lance last July, I've been on a mission to drop some *very* unwanted pounds.  I've been pretty successful so far, but I still have more to lose.  Part of my diet has included limiting the amount of carbohydrates that I eat, which means saying no to a lot of my favorite foods.  Pizza is one of those.

Let's face it, a girl can only eat so many salads before wanting to change things up a bit.  While browsing Pinterest, I found a recipe for cauliflower pizza.  I made the recipe, but it didn't quite work out right for me the first time.  Maybe I did something wrong.  Maybe I was just being picky.  But the second time I made it, I changed things up a bit and it worked perfectly.  I've since made it a handful of times and each time I realize that I need less ingredients to enjoy it (which means less calories!).

Here's what you need:
-1 head of Cauliflower
-1 cup of grated cheese (plus an extra handful to use as a topping)
-1 egg + 1 egg yolk
-Any toppings you'd like to use (marinara sauce, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, veggies, cheese, etc)



Directions:

*Preheat your oven to 375 degrees*

1).  Use a cheese grater to "rice" the cauliflower.  This is a relatively quick process, but can get to be a little messy.  It always seems that cauliflower chunks start flying all over the counter and onto the floor.  After you rice the cauliflower, put it into a microwaveable bowl and microwave it for about 6 minutes.  There is enough water in the cauliflower to keep it from burning.

2).  Take 1 cup of the cooked cauliflower and add it to 1 cup of grated cheese (I've used mozzarella, cheddar, and colby-all have worked fine).  Next add in the eggs.

3).  Stir the ingredients together.  Add in any seasonings to taste.  Usually a pinch of salt works fine for me, but I've also experimented with garlic, which is tasty as well.

4).  Spray some cooking spray onto a baking sheet and then plop the mixture onto the center.  Use your fingers to press the mixture into a flat circle.  Mine are usually about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

5). Pop it into the oven for about ten minutes.

6).  Take it out and add any toppings.  In the past, I've used marinara, cheese, pepperoni, etc.  It is so good! You will totally feel like you are eating a pizza (especially if it's been a while since you've had a slice).  Now, I just add a few toppings to the top and skip the extra cheese and marinara sauce.  I feel that the crust is good enough without all of the extras.  In the picture above, I used some pepperoni and leftover roasted brussel sprouts from our dinner the night before.

7).  Cook it for another 10-15 minutes.  Keep an eye on it and take it out when it looks browned and crispy.

8).  Let it cool and then slice it up and enjoy!

Have you experimented with cauliflower? There are so many ways to use it.  I'd love to hear about any ways you cauliflower as a low-carb substitute.



3 comments:

  1. How I love seeing good food on people's blogs, and how lazy I feel right now to actually start making something :) Can I have a bite? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Low-carb pizza!? I should try this one! :) I would love you to join my Food Photography challenge with your lovely food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe, it is so simple and tastes so great. make it a few times and you can make a perfect pizza base with any toppings at all

    ReplyDelete