Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Comforting

**I guest posted over at Closer to Lucy about photographing your own children. Hop on over there and check it out!**

Comfort.  This morning, Faith posted about how coffee is comforting to her.  It's comforting to me as well. I worked at Starbucks from 2004-2008.  During that time, I worked many early morning shifts, which had me waking up at 3:30 in the morning.  I was doing my undergraduate work then and living on campus.  I'm a bit embarrassed to say how many times I went to bed at midnight or later on nights when I knew I had to be up before the sun rose.

During that time, I developed a love/addiction for caffeine.  Prior to working at Starbucks, I rarely drank coffee.  When I did, it was (what the Starbucks community refers to as) a foo-foo drink.  Mostly sugar, barely any coffee taste, and enough calories to make your blood sugar level increase just by looking at the drink.  

But those early mornings left me drinking lattes, espresso shots, and chai by the bucket-full.  The worst part is that this habit of mine was completely free as long as I was on the clock.  And when I wasn't on the clock, I received a hefty discount.  

It's been 4 years since I've worked there and, although I still love coffee, I no longer drink it as if it's my life-source.  These days, drip coffee with a little half&half and a dash of cinnamon first thing in the morning serves me just fine.  

This coffee mug is my absolute favorite. It's from Dayspring.  I can't tell you how many mornings, over the last 8 months, I have woken up exhausted after nursing Lance all night.  The scripture printed inside the mug is exactly what I need to read.  Even though my physical being may be tired, there is promise of rest for my soul.

How about you? Are you a coffee or tea drinker? How do you take your coffee? Do you find it comforting in the early morning hours?

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful little mug and palette - I thought at first though that maybe you had photoshoped the verse on the inside......and it's so perfect to have written on a coffee cup too. He is our rest Amen!

    I'm a coffee drinker too and have to have a regular supply or I get withdrawal headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shot!
    I have to say I don't drink coffee at all, but I love the smell of freshly grounded coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chai too... oh wow, how I love the smell and the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty picture and nice palette!
    I used to drink a lot more coffee but am getting more into smoothies now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great mug.

    Yes, I am in love with my morning coffee - I prefer not to find out if I can function without it.

    ReplyDelete