Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recipe: Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sausage

With my dietary focus being on eliminating sugar, incorporating mostly whole foods, and controlling portion sizes, it's easy to get into a salad rut.  Don't get me wrong.  I love me a good salad.  Andi, from Can You Stay For Dinner, has a wonderful post called How To Make a Delicious 400 Calorie Salad.  If you haven't checked it out, you really should.

Anyway, in an attempt to include meals that aren't salads, I've started making this tasty concoction in a variety of ways, but I'm keeping it simple today.

Let me introduce you to Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Sausage.  In my opinion, it's the perfect lunch.  Filling and tasty.

Preheat your oven to a toasty 400 degrees.

Begin with a big bowl of rinsed brussel sprouts.  Cut off the ends and then cut them into fourths.



Next, make a drizzle (that's what I call it).  Combine 1/4 cup of Olive Oil, a few shakes of salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard (optional).  Stir it together and then pour over the brussel sprouts.  Stir them to coat.

Next, take some sausage of your preference (I used brats from Costco), and drop bite size pieces into the brussel sprouts.


Sprinkle on some salt and then pop it into the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.  Then take it out, flip everything over and put it back in for another 15 minutes.


When it's done, you'll have a crispy, tasty, veggie-filled lunch.  In my opinion, roasted is the best way to eat brussel spouts.  When paired with sausage, it's a dynamic combination. 

I've also made this with cauliflower, onions, and mushrooms added into the mix.  Basically, the sky's the limit.  It's like a salad, but warm.  :)

Alright.  I'm hungry now.  Do you ever make anything like this?

4 comments:

  1. Said it once, I'll say it again, I LOVE BRUSSELS. I've had them roasted and steamed. Roasted >>>>> steamed as you said! My mom roasts them at home with EVOO and GARLIC, so much garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the right angle and aperture setting can even make brussel sprouts look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That sounds awesome. And your pictures are just gorgeous!! I have minimal photography skills... although maybe a nicer camera would help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DELICIOUS!! I recently fell in love with Brussels sprouts and we've tried them a few different ways. By far the favorite has been in a skillet with grapeseed oil, salt, pepper and bacon. I need to try your way with sausage.

    ReplyDelete