Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: The Language of Flowers


Somehow, despite having two boys, school, student teaching, and way too many interests for my own good (just ask my husband), I have managed to read quite a few books this year.  Regardless of any other loves I may have, reading will always be my first love (Babysitter's Club, anyone?).  

I recently finished Vanessa Diffenbaugh's novel, The Language of Flowers.  I had heard some buzz about the book and decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad I did.  The cover, title, and even description  do not naturally grab my attention, but the book is so enchanting and well-written.  I had a hard time putting it down.  

The protagonist, Victoria, is a teenager who has been emancipated from the foster care system.  She doesn't trust anyone, struggles with daily interactions, and meeting basic needs.  Woven into the story is the language of flowers-their meanings-and their relation to Victoria's life.  The starkness of Victoria's life juxtaposed with the beauty of the flowers is really quite interesting.  

If I sound like I'm talking crazy-talk, just read this novel and you'll understand. 

It is unlike anything I've ever read before. 

Perhaps the most telling aspect of my experience with this novel is that I find myself thinking about Victoria, the main character.  I need a sequel just so I can make sure that she is ok.  

Have you read this book? What did you think? And if you haven't, have you ever read a book that you couldn't stop thinking about weeks later?

3 comments:

  1. Oh well, 6 yrs is such a long journey.. we hope that you could still continue doing your daily dose of your blog..
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really a very informative post indeed. Specially the video tutorial is very helpful for me. Thanks for sharing such a valuable info bro.
    Rinoplasti

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, this is one of the main problems that freelance web designers face when starting out their freelance career and attempting
    to make a name for themselves. You can see from the categories that this site means serious business and is dedicated to design and development exclusively.
    If it's been a long back then surely your website need a touch up or revamping.

    Feel free to visit my weblog: Web Design articles tutorials

    ReplyDelete